Hey Everyone! If you haven't deduced, it is about 4:30am here and Briana and I are excitedly awaiting our departure for Paris! Since I didn't blog about yesterday, I figured I should do it now. We started the morning off by watching a documentary in the flats called "I for India" which was about an Indian family who moved to England, with the intention of returning back home. They never went back to India. This idea is called the Myth of Return. It was a very emotional movie and there really wasn't a dry eye in the room when it was over (except the guys because they are too "manly" to cry.) After the movie, we all returned to our own flats and Briana and I made a rough plan for Paris. We then jetted off to Paddington station where we met Dr. Bell and grabbed a quick lunch. We then took a train out to an Indian district and had a lovely tour showing us the Indian culture that still survives in England today. Some of us tried the sweet corn being sold on the street, others bought some sweets at the sweet shop, and still more bought Indian scarves. I just enjoyed being there as none of these really appealed to me.
After our tour was over, I decided that I wanted to go over and tour Westminster Abbey, since this was going to be my only chance to do it. Wednesdays are the only day that the Abbey is open late, instead of closing at 4:30. Unfortunately, no one wanted to go with me, so I received explicit directions from Dr. Bell and made my way over. I found it easily, as we had been there once before at night towards the beginning of our trip. IT WAS AMAZINGGG! It was completely overwhelming to be a church that dates back to the 13th century, as well as the place where royals are married and coronated. I also saw many of the tombs of past Kings and Queens, such as King Henry VI, Queen Mary I, and Queen Elizabeth I. I saw the coronation chair on my way out. As I walked down the center of the Abbey (or as Dr. Bell has decided it should be called, the Wabby) I had flashbacks to watching Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding day, and I myself felt like a princess. The decoration and detail were incredible. I was so glad that I was able to do it. Although I didn't get a formal tour, there were free audio guides that I was able to use throughout the abbey. Overall, it was definitely a bit overwhelming, but fantastic!
After grabbing a quick postcard of the abbey (since you are not allowed to take pictures inside), I made my way over to Picadilly Circus to where the rest of my class was eating a group meal at a place called Zedels. It was French food and since I was going to Paris the next day, I wasn't upset at missing it. After they finished up dinner, most of us made our way over to the SoHo Theatre to see a comedy stand-up show. It was pretty good, he picked on a few of my classmates as well as Dr. Bell so that was a lot of fun. When the show was done, my classmates and I made our way back to Regent's Park (the stop where we live) where I met my friend from high school, Caty, who goes to school here in London. We weren't able to spend an incredible amount of time together since I had to get up so early this morning, but we did spend a lovely two hours at a pub close by. I really enjoyed catching up and seeing her and if I had had more time I probably would have made my way out to Kingston to see her. Well that is about it for yesterday, hopefully I will be able to stay awake for today! As the French say, "Au Revoir!"
So happy you got to go to Westminster Abbey!! And incredibly proud that you navigated your way there by yourself. Wow!! Suprising that no one wanted to join you as that is definitely supposed to be one of the highlights of London.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Caty was thrilled to get to see you and you had a chance to catch up a bit.
Hope today is a wonderful day in Paris!!