Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2:)

Today was another fun-filled long day! I slept much better last night and felt a lot less jet-lagged today than yesterday. Still not fully adjusted, but getting better. We started our day at 9:30 again this morning and got an amazing tour of Westminster by a lady named Kim. She showed us many interesting sites around Westminster that showed how the British Empire is still affecting London today. We also encountered our first set of guards since we were in "royal territory." We saw the horse guard, which are just guards on horses, and then there were some foot guards who were wearing some silly hats. I still have not seen the actual Royal Guards who guard the palace, but apparently they don't wear red in the winter:( We got to experience real British weather today since it was quite chilly this morning and nice and wet this afternoon.

After the tour, we all split up for lunch. A bunch of us decided to go to Picadilly Circus which is like the Times Square of London. We really only had time to eat lunch there, which we ate at Garfunkels. We all were able to warm up after our almost 3 hour tour outside.

We met back up as a group and headed to Greenwich where we went to the old Naval College. The lady who gave us a tour of the museum yesterday gave us a tour of the college. We learned that it was actually the old palace for awhile. We were able to see the Painted Hall and the old chapel which were both gorgeous. There was tons of ornate painting and detail. This was one of my favorite sites that I have visited since we have arrived here.

Tonight we are going to dinner at a place called Eat that Dr. Bell is going to. Then we are venturing to a play that none of us have ever heard of and Dr. Bell won't tell us what it is about. He said that it is really strange and we will really enjoy it. Who knows! I will try to post again later with a few pictures but unfortunately I have to run to catch the tube! Miss you all:)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like another great day! Hope you enjoyed dinner & the show. Love you & miss you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. grandma Arlene grandpa howieJanuary 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

    hi
    when in greenwich did you see GMT line painted in the road? Good to see you are having fun. remember in crossing the street look the opposite way then here as they drive on the opposite side of the road,
    in your travels will you be near taunton or somerset? Hope you enjoyed the show.
    see if you can get into chinatown? really good.Love you
    grandma & grandpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be standing on the greenwich mean line today! Very excited! I'm not sure about the other two places. We had our first tube adventures alone yesterday which was exciting! I'm not sure about taunton or somerset, but we do have optional trips to Cambridge and Manchester. We will also be visiting Bathe. The show was really weird, but I'll definitely check into chinatown! You know I am always up for some chinese! Miss you!

      Delete