Monday, January 7, 2013

Good Evening! We had an amazing day visiting Cambridge. Everyone in our class decided to take the optional trip to Cambridge for the day so it was a lot of fun to be all together. We took a 45 minute train ride there and started the day by seeing several different colleges that make up Cambridge University. We learned that there are 31 different colleges making up the university. Dr. Bell showed us around his college, Gonville and Caius college, where he attended for undergraduate. It was fun to learn about different traditions and to see such old buildings. That college was the 3rd oldest at Cambridge, dating back to the 16th century. We then visited King's College which is the most well known and I'm pretty sure the largest. We went inside the chapel which was amazingly big. We really enjoyed it.

We broke for lunch and most of us went to try a place that Dr. Bell recommended. It sold pasties, which the closest I could relate it to was a pot pie, but completely wrapped inside of a pastry dough. I had a mushroom and chicken one, that I'm pretty sure also had potatoes in it. It was fantastic! We then chose to use the rest of our lunch break to do some shopping. There was a little market that some of us walked around in and we also hit a sort of school store type shop where many of us bought Cambridge paraphernalia. I bought an adorable light blue Cambridge t-shirt. I then went over to the market to buy some tea from this guy who was selling tea leaves, for mom, and somehow got left behind by the rest of the group. So, I had my own little adventure in Cambridge today. Thankfully, I started walking in the right direction and Drew was able to find me. It felt a lot longer than it actually was.

After that adventure, we started on a new one. We set out on the river in Cambridge on some gondola looking things called Punts. The person who uses the large stick to row is called the punter. We each got a chance to be the punter, which was extremely scary. I chose to be in Dr. Bell's punt because I was nervous about punting, as well as floating along in an extremely small boat. There were about 6 of us in each boat. Once we got the hang of punting, it was really enjoyable and we got great views of several of the different colleges.

Once we docked again, we warmed up inside next to the fire for awhile, waiting for the other punts to come back. We then got on the train going home, where I ended up falling asleep on Drew. He didn't seem to mind too much...hopefully haha. It was a great nap though! We returned to the hotel for about an hour, which I chose to use wisely and shower so that I would be able to pack tonight.

Around 7, we met at the tube station to go to our group meal dinner. We went to an African food restaurant, which I didn't really care for. It was definitely different, and some people really enjoyed it though. We also received a complimentary 4 bottles of wine, which we all took advantage of. I chose to sample both red and white. I liked the white better. We just returned back from dinner so that we can pack up and put our flats back together before we leave at 8:30am tomorrow morning. I am hoping that I will have access to Wifi as I move on in the trip, but if not, don't get worried that the blog posts might not be as regular! Miss you all tons!

3 comments:

  1. Another full day! Lunch sounded yummy! And you had your own personal adventure! I better enjoy that tea! I looked Cambridge up online last night & it reminded me a little of Bayeux, just from the pictures & description. Was it? Sounds like the kind of place I would like.

    Safe trip to Bristol. I will look forward to hearing from you whenever you are able to post.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WOULD HAVE LOVED CAMBRIDGE! It sort of had a small town feel. Sort of reminded me of like Faneuil Hall sort of but outside. It had a lot of tiny shops and cobblestone streets. You better love this tea! He said you should be able to get 10-12 cups out of it. He said it was traditional British tea and its like the actual tea leaves. He said you put a teaspoon in and then pour in hot water and let it brew for 3-4 minutes. Hopefully its delicious!

      Delete
  2. I am sure I will enjoy it! You know I love tea & fresh brewed is the best!

    ReplyDelete