Today was another great day! We got a late start this morning, 10:30am, where we jumped on the tube at our favorite tube stop, Euston Station. We went to St. Paul's Cathedral, which is the 2nd largest basilica in the world, next to St. Peter's in the Vatican. I've never seen a church that big before! It was incredible! Our whole class walked to the top of St. Paul's which is about 400 steps, possibly more. We breathlessly took in the view from the top! We also toured the crypt which has the body of Arthur Duke of Wellington, as well as Lord Nelson, who was a famous naval commander that we have been learning about for the past two days. Yesterday, we visited the painted hall where his body laid in state for three days after he died. 90,000 people came to view him! Most of us then enjoyed lunch with Dr. Bell at a place called Leon's, where I got some yummy falafel!
When we finished lunch, we journeyed back out to Greenwich to visit the National Maritime Museum. We visited a gallery and was given a tour of that gallery by the curator. It was really interesting and definitely added a lot to the museum. After a short discussion of the readings for the day, which were written by John (the curator), we marched all the way up the hill to the observatory where the prime meridian line is located. We enjoyed taking pictures in the two different hemispheres of the world.
Briana, Lauren, Drew, and I all ventured over to the London Eye and bought tickets. We then went to a mexican restaurant where Lauren and I sampled some classic margaritas! Why not, we are legal in this country! Dinner ended up being delicious and a great pick! We then walked back to the London Eye and took the 30 minute ride. The sites were great from the very top. We did some walking and shopping after around the area and finally returned back to the flats around 9:30ish. It was a long and busy day but a lot of fun!
Hi Rach,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are having such a good time. I'm really proud of you for going on the London Eye.
The posts are so interesting. You are getting a lot from the gided tours. Having someone explain what you are seeing is such a great benefit.
So funny because today at lunch I was telling everyone that I didn't think you would ride the London Eye and then tonight I saw this post. So glad that you did. I'm sure you saw some fabulous views!
ReplyDeleteI love both your posts and the class post. I have to say that I am actually learning a lot from reading them. What a wonderful keepsake you will have of your trip when you return!
Love you!
That is funny! Yeah three out of the four of us last night were terrified, but we all manned up and did it. We knew if we didn't do it we would all regret it. The Eye was only built to last 5 years and was built for the millennium. It has now lasted between 12 and 13 years!
DeleteHi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're having a great time (and getting quite the workout too.)What an opportunity you have to be able to see a city so rich in history firsthand. Keep the entries coming. I enjoy reading them. Be safe!
I like the rest of the family enjoy reading your posts. It's almost like we spent the day with you. I'm so glad your enjoying all the experiences of the trip. Even the not so hot ones will make for a laugh later - you'll see. Just stay together and be safe!! It's great to try things a little out of your comfort zone...Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteDonna